Tuesday 16 December 2014

Advent reviews: 15! :

"Christmas Through Your Eyes" by Gloria Estefan

Emma: *
Charlie: .5

Emma: It's sad that Gloria Estefan has some kind of disorder where she can only sing one tempo. Slow. But that seems to be the case. If not for the different lyrics, I would swear each track here is the same smarmy 90's smooooooth pop. With the occasional bit of incongruous "Classical" thrown in here and there for "Christmas" "authenticity". The one star comes from the bits of latin-inspired rhythm that, if you ignore everything else, you can kind of dance to.

Charlie: For most of this album, my mind was consumed by three questions. First, what is taste? Is this music distasteful, or is it just not my thing? Are there objective reasons to dislike it, or is it just music that I, personally, don't like? Second— can she only sing at that one tempo? There are songs/arrangements that seem to cry out for faster or more responsive singing, but she carries on steadily, midtempo, seemingly refusing to engage. Finally, have I heard some of these tracks before? Possible while walking the aisles of some godforsaken grocery store in the early '90s? Not recommended. (After listening to this, I felt the need to wash my ears out with some Bruce Springsteen.)

Take it: No, no, no thanks.

No comments: