Tuesday 16 December 2014

Advent reviews 14:

"Christmas Album II" by The Barra MacNeils

Emma: ***.5
Charlie: ****

Emma: Well. Now I wish I could go back and give the last Barra MacNeil album four stars. I was too harsh, too quick. Because this one is similar, a bit less production, a bit of a longer awkward spoken word track and a couple slightly cringely-lyriced originals, but, for the most part, it's great. Just not as great as the last one. So. Actually. This should be 3.5, and it should be 4. Oh, hindsight.

Charlie: The second in a series, this one feels strangely like a first effort. That said, it is another extremely strong entrant in the Christmas Album category, and one I'd consider myself fortunate to be able to add to my playlist. Again, there is a must-skip spoken-word track (involving a quite good poem, to be fair— but for a Christmas playlist I want songs only) but that's well offset by some strong performances of traditional, new, classical and well-done mashups of all of those. Recommended, after you pick up a copy of the other disc in the series.

Have it: Yes, we will.

1 comment:

Ione said...

Investigation required, obviously