Wednesday 12 December 2012

What is this, 10?


I heard a brother speak last night,
And he said Strife!
Find a noble nurse for me,
And send her over to Calgary.'

I faltered, taking up the word:
'Not so, my bro!
If wifes must be, choose another
don’t send a nurse to wed my brother.

But she is bound by greatitude,
By love of cats,
To brother of mine in Calgary
Who stretch out kindly hands to she.

'Therefore,' the sis said, 'shalt thou wed
a nurse to-night.
From the summits of love a nurse is driven,
As lightning is from the tops of heaven.'

5 comments:

Ione said...

Ooh, tough one. I'm not allowing myself any Google so am going to think about it all night.
Janice is the easy guess, the poem, I don't know. Yet.

Emma said...

Yes, this one's a bit more tricky. Hint: think of things that rhyme with nurse...

erin k h said...

something to do with a hearse? a dying brother? it is vaguely familiar! but i can't quite... ugh...

Rick said...

(Thanks for the hint Emma.)

A Curse For a Nation
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Emma said...

Dad gets it! Swoops in for the win! Unheard of!