Friday 13 July 2007

Old socks live on air

"If your band was a cheese, what kind of cheese would it be?"

Ah. Interviews on top-40 radio stations: simply charming. That said, before this week, I'd never actually done an interview on a top-40 radio station. The few scattered bits of radio experience I have are all of the staid, CBC/BBC type, the type that focuses a bit more on content and a bit less on sound effects.

Bandmate 1 said, "Blue cheese."

I said, "Disgusting. Definitely not blue cheese. Camembert, maybe."

Bandmate 2 said, "We're not a band that tastes like old socks."

Bandmate 1 said, "Well, really, if we were a cheese, we wouldn't be here."

I said, "No, we'd be in the fridge."

The announcer/interviewer said, "Great, that's a take."

And that, my friends, is the message we proudly passed on to the youth of this great nation.

6 comments:

Robin said...

but what cheese you are is a very odd thing to ask your band... the more I think about it, the weirder it seems. why not ask "what kind of hot beverage is your band?" or even better, "what kind of sandwich are you;" questions which have a bit more mass appeal--easier metaphors for the general public to understand, y'know?

I am a punctuation mess today.

Robin said...

but I do like the bit about the fridge. Genius.

Emma said...

It was just so totally meaningless. Fluff radio. Hilarious. They have the chance to get through to millions of bristolites, and they use it to talk about cheese. Or...I guess...we do.

tori said...

mmmm...cheese.

Anonymous said...

The Cedar is getting played on top-40 radio? Impressive!

Oh, and the correct answer was totally havarti.

Anonymous said...

they are not havarti, are you kidding? don't get me wrong. i love havarti. but it's a bit on the bland side, as far as cheeses go. maybe a nice baked brie. (baked being absolutely key.) or smoked ghouda with fennel in.