Sunday 12 August 2007

Don't let them be misunderstood


Last night we opened for The Animals. Yes, the house-of-the-rising-sun Animals. Many of them are dead, but they still have their original keyboardist and drummer. These guys have been playing the together for almost 50 years now. The drummer looked adorably like my grandpa.

The gig was for the Brailles Village Fair. As well as the music, there were contests for the biggest leek, loveliest knitting, best chocolate cake baked by a man, and best human-or-animal face made out of vegetables.

It probably wasn't their most glamorous gig. But there they were. Surely they could have retired decades ago if they wanted. But there they were. Smiling and making music for the big-leek growing people of Brailles. They were nice in the backstage (village hall) bathrooms and lively, loud, and happy onstage. I couldn't decide if it was tremendously sad, or brilliantly inspiring. Since they were such nice people though, let's go with the latter.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I was just singing that song on our holiday last week!

I know what you mean, though. I was going to blog about it and maybe I still will, but we saw a jazz band in Couer d'Alene that had an 84-yr-old pianist. She was incredible! The bassist and the sax player had to be at least in their 70's as well--I found it incredibly inspirational. Despite arthritis and a good deal of hearing loss, there they were. :)

Anonymous said...

Um, when you say he looked "like my grandpa" do you mean our grandpa who's been dead for ~8 years or the one who's been dead for ~17 years? Either way, I'm guessing they're not looking great today... Ewwwww...

Emma said...

I meant Grandpa old, when he was alive! He was wearing a red plaid shirt and everything, looked like he just got back from Herb Nelson's.

Anonymous said...

Ok, that gives him some cred in my books. Grandpa Old was a very cool dude.

Harry Man said...

Well well well Animells. I mean Animals. That would have been a great gig. I wish I'd been there. You were really great in Bristol on Sunday! Herb Nelson ha ha! He's great. I love him because of his name, (and not just his yard with all the cars and odds and ends, which I love to). Oh and maybe plaid. Perhaps Herb is getting in on some of the this-guy-is-awesome that he may or may not be sharing with the old dude from Jools Holland who plays with only two guitar strings whose name I forget.. one to ask Tom tonight.

One to ask Tom tonight.

Wow, this whole musical lyrics as a sentence thing I get after staring at your writing is infectious.

*dancing at my desk 90's techno style*
Your writing is infectious
infectious, infectious
Your writing is infectious
infectious, infectious
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
infectious *reverb / echo + people staring at me*