Friday 1 February 2013

Why not try a thing?



Hi Everybody.

I don't like the whole detox thing. It's down with dieting in my books; an unhealthy and unhelpful way of thinking about how things, particularly things in your body, work. Don't only eat maple syrup and hot peppers for a week to clear out your body, just make an effort to not pollute your body most of the time. Don't take a month off drinking so that you can justify binge drinking the rest of the year. And don't not eat what you want to eat. You want to eat it for a reason, your body wants something, you should listen. But listen like a parent. When your body says: I need chips. You say, what's that, body? You're craving carbs and salt? Okay, we can do that. Here, have a pickle in a pita. Or something along those lines.

So, it maybe doesn't make sense that I've decided not to eat sugar this month. This February (shortest) month. So, I though I should warn you all. I'm not doing it as a detox. Or as a diet. I honestly think that, in moderation, like all things, sugar is a _good_ thing. We have a good, uncomplicated relationship. So, why, Emma, why?

Because I like:

a) Science. I like to change one thing and keep everything else the same and see what happens. (That's science, essentially, right? Right.)  I want to see what will happen. Will I be hungry all the time? Will I even notice? I will I swell up huge? Get curly hair? Etc.

b) To make life longer: I mean, I plan on living a long time, yep, but, in this case, I'm talking relativity. Any time you make a fairly big change in your day-to-day life (moving, big hair cut, holiday, new housemate...) your memory demarks that time, apart from the otherwise often blended blur of your days, weeks, years. A friend of mine once shaved his head for this reason. It looked terrible. I asked, why? And he said, to make my life longer. I liked that.

So. See you on the other side.

5 comments:

Ione said...

We are impressed.

erin k h said...

yes! why not? good. i survived... and there were so many other things i couldn't eat too. (and, i DID maybe learn that my body is better that way... but. ooops! i like sugar. so i make that choice. anyways.)

science is fun. yup. and i really want a pickle in a pita. thanks a lot. my body listened to you, but i do not have these things... so. ugh. thanks.

Peter said...

That was the standard scientific approach before the 1920s when R. A. Fisher showed how one can can study the effects of several factors (and their interactions) in a single experiment using a factorial design. Will you be publishing the results, even if your P-value is less than 0.05? Good luck!

tori said...

i love this post.

i'm going to go try something new now.

Anonymous said...

Can I eat your allocation of sugar?