Sunday 22 January 2012

Goodbye, my silver Robin.


Anyone who knows me here in Bath, or anyone who has ever visited, or anyone I have gone to see in Bristol, Trowbridge, Bradford-on-Avon, London, Norwich, Marshfield, and so many other places also knows Silver Robin.

Silver Robin was my loyal, wonderful, best-friend of a bike. My little Dawes folder. My car, my horse, my friend.

Dad and I went all the way to Malmesbury to a speciality folding bike shop to get it.

One of my first longer rides was with mom down the canal path for lunch in Bradford on Avon.


I did all of my John-O-Groat's to Land's End training on SR. That's 50 mile rides on 20-inch wheels.

Thanks to SR, I have never taken the bus or driven to work at the university. Never.

I've taken it on trains, tubes, taxis, tarmac and trailers.

We've been on friendship rides with Erin, Mom, Dad, Charlie, Chris, Jeff K., Ryan S., Anne-Marie, Sue, Beth, Tori, Ben M., and so many more.

People get attached to their cars in one way, and to their horses in another. I think the way we get attached to our bikes is somewhere in the middle, and is important and good.

I like that I got Silver Robin with dad and last night, walking home from a fun fun limbo-filled party, when I discovered it gone, stolen, nothing left but the opened lock around a lonely lamppost, I was on the phone with dad. There's a nice circularity to that.

RIP Silver Robin
March 2008 - January 2012

4 comments:

erin k h said...

whoever took it is the worst of the humans. truly. this post almost made ME cry, because yes. friendship rides. you me and natalya and the swimming. such good times on that sweet silver robin.

Anonymous said...

That really, really sucks... Crazy that someone would be bold enough to steal it from right in front of your place - that's a pretty busy street!

Travis said...

That sucks so bad. I try not to be too into stuff but bikes really have a way of growing on you. I can think of all the rides I have been on with my bikes and all the kilometers that have passed by. My road bike was the first thing I bought when I finished articling and is still one of the few things I could not replace. It has been ridden into awful headwinds, taken on countless trips up and down the river valley hills, raced, crashed and been reconstructed with new parts (including Chris's wheels) It has even toured San Fransisco in the rain just for fun. If I pretend that I was in your position and it was stolen I would be very very very sad. Sorry to hear.

Emma said...

Dear everyone. Please check out my latest post. BEST THING EVER.