Tuesday 1 March 2011

new skills present


On special occasions, people like to buy themselves presents, on occasion. So, when I graduated from the PhD program, as a self-gift, I decided to give myself a new SKILL: Leatherwork!

I like sewing, and I needed a new satchel, and I know a great guy who was willing to teach me, so: Leatherwork!

Turns out it's like a lovely marriage of sewing and heavy hand-tools. I like that. I ordered half a cow (hide) on Etsy, from a chivalrous Texan and got ready to LEARN.

Less time than I expected later, (and with lots and lots and lots of help from my tutor, Gaz) I present...my bag! Big enough for my laptop, lined and everything. That's fancier than I get with most clothes... .



5 comments:

erin k h said...

nice one! that's really impressive. it looks great. i would buy that on the internets. i would recommend that my fashioney friends bought them too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is super impressive - nice work Em!

Ione Hooper said...

Very very nice.

dharmahum said...

That looks very much like my favorite satchel which I bought on a florentine street but isn't lined (red!). These hoopers can master anything.

Emma said...

Thanks guys. Maybe I should go into business on Florentine streets? The only problem is that given the number of labour-hours it takes me to make one, I think I'd have to charge about 500 Euro...