Monday 30 August 2010

Now that I'm a knight.


So, I'm a Finnish Knight now.

Saturday was my first ever gig with my new solo act "Waitress for the Bees," performing tracks from my upcoming dinosaur-based "Albertosaurus" album. And, despite my being terrified, it went remarkably well. See:

1) I made at least four grown men cry with my artistic rendering of mass extinction.

2) I impressed enough people to secure enough gigs to book a little Finnish tour, probably in October.

and, most importantly, surely,

3) It impressed a Grand Master enough to get me knighted. In a cellar-cavern, by a benevolent horn-head, no less.

Yeah! Yep. For real. Charlie too. Four men in tuxedos, various medallions and real-live viking hats invited us to their headquarters on Sunday. Where they processed, played a drum, read from a scroll tied up in red ribbon, and then led us, one at a time, to the knighting cavern.

In the Cavern, you could not speak. You knelt on a scarlet cushion bearing the knightly insignia and they put a quite heavy sword on your shoulders and said nice things about you in Finnish. The gave you a crest-thing, and a scroll/knightly diploma bearing your name and a bunch more nice things about you, in Finnish, and then you got to drink some "Spiritual Drink" out of a giant horn. Now, and forever, a Finnish knight of the order of the benevolent horn-heads.

Then you went back to the main house-HQ and had cake and coffee.

I can't wait for my second gig.

3 comments:

Ione said...

Fabulous! Does one refer to you as Sir Emma and Sir Charles now? Is there some Finnish equivalent I should be practising?

erin k h said...

that's doctor sir.

tori said...

wow, this is hilarious. you have a very different reality and I like it.