Saturday 7 August 2010

Making, eating.

(my swimming lake)

I have been at Arteles, Finland, for almost a week now, and, sheesh, the Arteles folk sure know how to make a place you don't want to leave. I'm already semi-panicking about the fact that in a mere three weeks there will be no more sauna, no more lake swims, no more creative energy pulling me up and through the day on a kind of stress-free adrenaline that's next to impossible to recreate. The kind of place where you get up in the morning because the excitement of another day that is just yours (by which I mean mine) to create in is too much to sleep through.
(our room/my studio)

This is all great.

But the real thing I wanted to mention, today, is that creative people love making things. There are all sorts of creative people here, visual artists, writers, musicians, researchers, builders, all kinds. And what do creative people do for breaks from their projects? They create other, non-project things! Namely...food! There has been fresh baked bread almost every single day here. And cookies. And, of course, where you have international people, you get...international food! Installation artist Maya made us Shakshooka! And just this morning we woke up to the better-than-bacon smell of Teemus' mom's amazing Pulla!

I guess I had better pull my weight and make something traditionally Canadian. Um...poutine?

3 comments:

Ione said...

Fantastic setting! The living/working space has so much light, such simplicity.

erin k h said...

maximum jealous.

Anonymous said...

I think Grandma's cinnamon buns would be a hit...