Monday 17 September 2007

1.75

Oh my goodness, oh my gosh, I got a job. A real job. In two weeks time I'm going to be teaching undergraduates things at an actual, not-made-up-by-me university.

And it's about time. Because it's almost my birthday at which point I'll be much too close to thirty to not have had a real job, ever. So far I have had many jobs, but, one a scale of one to five, with one being selling-rocks-to-the-neighbours and five being salary-with-benifits I have averaged a mere 1.75.

Here, for the scientists, is the working out (a sampling of actual jobs I have held):

-Door to door for Greenpeace= 2.5
-Being the Freak in a Freak show= 1.5
-Prenteding to be someone else in front of people, often on a stage= 2
-Road-side fruit stand attendee= 2.5
-Violin teacher= 4
-Freelance musician= 2
-Life model (yes, THAT kind)= 2
-Stay-at-home cat-mom=0

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's complex math, Em. I'll get Peter right on it. Meanwhile, you realize Chris, Alex, Mary and Chelsea, even Lance are workin' for the man. Clare's holding out with more school , Trevor, same, Erin, uh, dunno. You're in a happy middle place :)

Brianne said...

I did the greenpeace thing too..... hated it. p.s. don't tell the americans.

Anonymous said...

I think i've out-real-jobbed you! I'm gonna have to do some math to be sure (and we know how good I am at math). I'll maybe do it at my real job tomorrow, when I have nothing to do...

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news, congrats Emma! Just out of curiosity what would "paining your parent's deck" rate on that scale?

Emma said...

I think paining the deck would be a 0...painting it might be a 1.5...

(It's okay, I understand your brain is totally and literally starved this week...)

Harry Man said...

I don't know man, a violin teacher has to be up there a little more in the real-job quota of things. If it's any consolation, at my real job today I managed to spill some mashed potato on my Lord of the Rings Readers' Companion (and Guide) copy edit.. eesh.. also mashed potato is _not_ that easy to get off... anyways, so moral of the tale is you're teaching and that is paining my deck which is inversely proportional to the paining of your deck caused by me wanting to dress up as a wraith and skulk after my editor boss at his next important meeting is squared.

Last point... can I get maybe a real live Nazgul for xmas.. no reason?

It sounds like you're doing really well, and thinking of you, waking up at roughly the same time as me for venting your Monday plenaries...