Wednesday 17 December 2014

Advent reviews 17:

"A Christmas Together" by John Denver and The Muppets

Emma: ***
Charlie: **

Emma: I was really looking forward to this one. And, as I hoped, there were some tracks/moments that were pure muppet gold, like Beaker's contribution to the 12 days of Christmas, or Animal's won't go! WONT GO! contribution to We wish you a merry Christmas, and a number of other little bits of classic muppet timing and comedy. However, as a musical experience, as a whole, I'm not sure it's something I would want to listen to over and over...

Charlie: The Muppets are so much weirder and darker than they get credit for, but that's for another essay. Here, they do their traditional Christmas mashup with a music star— who originally thought of this concept, I wonder? It seems to be best suited for playing for visiting extended family with very young children: the kids get a kids' album, the adults get the occasional grown-up-type singing. The popularity of this one seems to come down largely to the popularity of the Muppets in general, so I'm inclined to say: unless you already have nostalgic feelings for it, skip it.

Keep it?: Maybe just a couple tracks...

1 comment:

Ione said...

Kind of relieved I don't have to listen to this one.