Monday 1 August 2011

Not smiling


Giving stickers to my violin/viola students after a "good" lesson is one of the best bits of teaching. I get to seek out and buy the coolest stickers and, ahem, sometimes, keep some of them for myself. After all, I have good lessons too...

So, this week's stickers are puffed up (you know, the kind that are fun to poke) personifications of photo-realist desserts. There's one that's a bunch of berries making faces, some with legs, some without. There's another one that's a chocolate chip cookie with a mustache. Etc.

One of my youngest students, (three years old), had a great lesson and earned herself a sticker. She chose a personified green macroon. Her mother and I left her to examine and enjoy it while we discussed summer holidays and upcoming lesson times etc etc. until, from the back of the room, came an unholy wail:

IT'S NOT SMILING!
IT'S NOT SMILINGit'snotsmilingit'snotsmilingit'snotsmilingIT'SNOT!smiling. IT'S NOT SMILING!(it'snotsmilingit'snotsmilingit'snot...)

My student had made a shocking discovery about her macroon reward. (itsnotsmiling!itsnotsmiling!itsnot!) And it was Incredibly Disturbing to her three year old mind. (ITSNOTSMILING!) Imagine, a personified cookie, not smiling. Just. Imagine.

Mom and I checked it out. It was true, the macroon was downright ambivalent. Cool, even.

We swapped it, deft like a magician's slight of hand, for a pink one. It was smiling.

And all was right with the world. Kids are so interesting.

1 comment:

Ione said...

Too funny. I can just hear that little British voice, freaked out at a grumpy face.