Wednesday 11 June 2008

Knees Squeeze



Running has a bad wrap in terms of knees. Like cats and dogs, the stereotype is that they just can't get along, but the truth is that they often do. They're often even the best of friends! When non-runners warn me and worry me again and again about the inevitable demise of my knees due to my little running addiction, I'm always a fast and keen defender of running's pro-knee properties.

And then, I had to go and get a knee injury.

And, humiliatingly, it's nothing fancy, just plain, old, "runner's knee." The name adds insult to injury. Literally.

So, I've taken a week (weak) off. Swimming, cycling, elliptical training, no running. And now, after one "clean" week, I wake up this morning and my OTHER KNEE really hurts.

Oh. I'm not impressed.

Unless this means that non running is worse than running?

I might just try a tiny little 6km tomorrow....

3 comments:

Robin said...

Look on the bright side! 'Runner's Knee' sounds a lot more noble than tennis elbow!

Anonymous said...

Runner's knee? Is when your patella roams around where it shouldn't be while you're running? Bad patella, bad!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a successful 6k...

Emma said...

The 6km went well! But really, really cautiously. Like, 40minutestodoa6km cautiously. I didn't actually break a sweat. Both bendy boys are acting up a little today, so nothing for a couple days...but maybe a dead-slow 10km in France on Sunday...?