Friday 28 March 2008

Pulp non-fiction


I don't like to watch Quentin Tarantino films.

I hear they're good.

I believe they're intelligent.

They have good soundtracks.

But I don't like to watch them.

Because I don't like violence. I don't like watching it, real or fictitious, and, I don't understand society's fascination with it.

Especially random violence. It doesn't make sense, not even evolutionarily. (I could elaborate here, but I won't. You're quick enough to get where I'm coming from, right? Right.)

So, to the random nose-smashers of last night's London, why? Not a despairing, rhetorical, fist-at-the-sky 'Why?', but seriously, why? Couldn't you use that energy climbing, riding, making, finding, learning, writing, growing, teaching, moving, exploring or playing something? Honestly, I want to know, why?

1 comment:

Harry Man said...

I'm with you on both counts. I don't get random violence either. Mostly I don't understand people who think they have to be violent to protect themselves. They're the ones that generate the self-perpetuated fear of and for themselves. That's the sad irony. It's like those stats on knife crime, where the would-be victim carries a knife only to have it turned on them.

It still makes me cross that famous and influential UK rap artists like So Solid Crew say that someone pulled a sawn-off shotgun on them when they grew up in one of the richest and well-surveilled and well-policed communities in the country. That makes me mad! Respect is cultivated through action, not fear! grrrr... x