Tuesday 10 July 2007

BBC by the sea


I guess really famous people have to get up pretty early. I guess that's probably the price of intense fame. Take today, for example, when my string quartet and I filmed a commercial for the BBC. We had to be in Cardiff at 7:56am, meaning having to catch the 6:56am train, meaning having to get up in the 5's. I hear some people do this sort of thing everyday. Wow. They must be pretty famous.

We shot the commercial on a windswept cliff overlooking a blue-and-grey sea. It was meant to look like they caught us in the middle of an everyday rehearsal. In our full ballgown blacks. On a cliff by the sea. With microphones in our bras. Playing the themes to television shows we never got in Canada.

The best bit: having the director choose me to be the boy-crazy one who can't stop talking about Mr Darcy. 'Emma, talk about Mr Darcy and his wet shirt for about a minute, go. Oh, and can you play while you do it?' Just your everyday rehearsal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and CAN you play while you do it? You have years of experience playing and talking, natch.

Emma said...

The only problem is they wanted me to play the theme from the BBC's Pride and Prejudice while doing it and, um, I really have no idea how that goes....